Are you ready to take your smile’s brightness up a notch? A professional teeth whitening treatment can be a safe, effective way to add the healthy-looking sparkle that you crave to your toothy grin. Professional teeth whitening has the ability to lift the stains and discolorations left by time and favorite foods like berries, coffee, tomato sauces, red wine and soda. Most patients ask us “What happens during an in-office whitening session?” Hopefully, this list will give you a better idea of what to expect during a professional teeth whitening session.
Why Professional Teeth Whitening is Better
Thanks to the public’s hunger for bright, white smiles, there are plenty of teeth whitening products to choose from. The teeth whitening services provided in your dentist’s office may carry a higher price-tag than at-home options, but they also tend to offer greater safety and the most striking results.
What can you expect when you visit your dentist’s office for a professional whitening service? While some details may vary depending on the product used, the basic process is simple:
- After making a record of your smile’s current hue, the dental hygienist cleans and polishes your teeth. This gives the bleaching formula a clean slate to begin its work on.
- Retractors are used to keep your lips, tongue and cheeks out of the whitening agents. A barrier of hardening resin or a liquid rubber dam is established along the gum line to protect that tissue. In addition, gauze is tucked into your mouth to keep your teeth dry so that the whitener can work effectively.
- The front of the teeth are carefully painted with a whitening gel. This generally takes 15 to 30 minutes. In many cases, the dentist will aim an intense light at the gel to activate it or enhance its activity.
- Depending on the product used, the gel is either left to sit or reapplied periodically. It may remain on the teeth for up to an hour. During that period, the dentist will keep a watchful eye on things to ensure that everything is progressing properly.
- When the desired shade is reached or the maximum time is completed, the teeth are rinsed. Then, the gauze and retractors are removed. If sensitivity is a concern, your dentist might finish with a fluoride application to help fend off any discomfort.
Your Newly Luminous Smile
Professional teeth bleaching may whiten your smile up to eight shades. The level of change depends on the state of your teeth, the nature of any stains, and the products and techniques used. Interestingly, the first flush of whiteness will be slightly brighter than the real result. Your teeth will settle into their true shade in the next few days as they recover from the treatment. Were you hoping for a brighter result? Talk to your dentist about additional in-office or at-home whitening treatments.
At Wekiva Dental, beautiful smiles are our passion. We take great pride in helping our customers maximize their dental health. That’s why we’re committed to offering an extensive menu of general and cosmetic dental services and products, including professional teeth whitening. Are you a good candidate for in-office teeth bleaching? Call Wekiva Dental today at 407-869-7333 to schedule an appointment and explore the possibilities.